I come bearing awesome news today. Have you heard of Achtung! Cthulhu? It's a very interesting Lovecraftian setting taking place in the shadows of World War Two. The first A!C product has already been released, the first in a series of episodic adventures for a campaign of tentacles and mad science called Zero Point. The first adventure is called Three Kings and it's been released for both Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu RPG and for Reality Blur's Realms of Cthulhu Savage Worlds system.
Well, soon there will be another version of Three Kings, this time for PDQ and it'll be done by me! Well, at least the mechanics will, the adventure itself will still be Sarah Newton's great original adventure. However, A!C for PDQ is going to be more than just a converted adventure, it's going to be a stand-alone product featuring a new iteration of the PDQ system that I have tweaked for Lovecraftian horror. So it's a great, two-in-one package: a new version of everyone's favorite fast and flexible system along with a great adventure fighting Nazis and things Man Was Not Meant To Know.
Just to give you a taste, here are some things that you can expect in this new version of PDQ:
- A grittier, deadlier system for damage and recovery for "traditional" Cthulhu-themed gaming, but including rules to adjust the dials for a pulpier, action game.
- A system for vehicles and scale for when you need to mow down deep ones with a tank or dog-fight shantak birds.
- An easy-to-use system for fear and madness.
- A simple system for weapons and equipment that helps emphasize the deadliness of WW2 while avoiding excessive rules or record-keeping.
- And of course, that's not all.